Thursday, January 14, 2010

A set back

Things got a shake up last week as I was laid off from my job. I've survived 6 layoffs thus far, but I guess I couldn't escape this one. I should be fine in the long run, however, all of the money I have been saving to restore Windsong will need to be used for bills until I find new employment.

So as my mind processes all of the things it needs to so I can adjust to my new circumstances, I need to figure out what I can accomplish on the boat that won't eat my savings immediately. If the weather holds up I will be going up to see Windsong this weekend to do some deconstruction on the inside. I think I will focus on removing the headliner and some more wood trim. With my free time (aside from looking for a job) I will be working hard on things like restoring the woodwork. I am excited for the time to get a leg up on the work, but would rather have my steady income back.

6 comments:

Barco Sin Vela II said...

Tough break, indeed.

I am a new reader, who was directed here by a friend and I have to commend you on this new boat and definitely enjoy living vicariously through you and yours! Savor these early years, they will prove to be the great foundation on your future cruising experiences. Nothing cooler in life than owning a real sailboat, no matter how big.

If you feel like it, let me know when you are in the St Johns, I'll buy you a beer (if you drink). Would love to check out your DE.

DC

Robert Salnick said...

Sorry about the job...

While you are looking for work, could you look closer to Windsong?

Maybe you should move aboard - it'd save you a bunch of money...

Goiod luck!

bob
s/v Eolian
DE45 #11
Seattle

audeojude said...

Sorry to hear about the job. I am self employed and can relate.. I haven't laid myself off but times are pretty tough. part of our strategy to save money is going to be moving onto the boat and renting the house. I have found that the slow business frees up time to work on the boat. :)

You have to look for the upside :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tom said...

Hi Eric,

Not to sound cliché, but there may be a silver lining in this cloud. This damn economy has taken its toll on many of us and definitely interfered with our plans. Yet in sailing, “adapting and overcoming” is something you will master eventually – whether you want to or not.

If I were you I’d stay as close to my boat as possible and learn as much as I could. Along the way I’d offer what basic skills I had or could acquire (or just a strong back) around the marina for cash. I’d clean boats, mend canvas, refinish teak – whatever – while sending out resumes in the evenings.

(Hint: buy a Sailrite sewing machine – you’ll eventually need it anyway and making a simple bimini or cushions can yield some impressive profits).

If nothing else this downturn will help you realize that, once you set sail, your wits and energy will serve you far better than any degree.

Best of luck to you and keep up your enjoyable posts.

Erick said...

Thanks a ton for the inspiration Tom. I've been doing my best to spend my free time with the boat, or if I am away from it working on things related to it. I've spent a few hours each day doing restoration work on it and the progress is making this time worthwhile.